Thursday, October 19, 2006

Maybe I want to look cheap....



Today the Times had an article about what Halloween has turned into for women. It's now a dress-sluty, free-for-all where a prim and proper girl can be her alter ego for the night and no one will say anything. Where showing some extra cleavage is only part of the costume for Little Bo-Peep Show.

I can't say that I haven't dressed a little extra sexy on the past few Halloweens. Last year I was gift wrapped with a tag that said:

To: Men
From: God.

To my shock, not that many people got it....

So how sexy is too sexy when it comes to putting our costumes together this year? Here are some rules a fabulous girl should follow:

1. Don't show your bum. Unless you've been hitting the pilates classes all summer, it's not OK to show the tush under a micro mini.

2. Wear stockings. I'm sporting some gold sparkly fishnets this year, and although they're far from demur, they do provide some coverage.

3. Do show some decolletage, but don't hoist your boobs up so high you could balance a beer on them. Keep it looking somewhat natural.

4. Make your costume if possible. The mass produced 'sexy' costumes never fit right, and just give off the vibe 'I'm really cheap, not just a little cheap.' Besides, handmade costumes are definitely a conversation starter :-)

5. Finally go out and be sexy girls, but sometimes what you don't show is even hotter than what you do show!

Here's the Times article
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/19/fashion/19costume.html?pagewanted=1&adxnnl=1&ref=style&adxnnlx=1161280692-Vr/gKPibkOo3zBbTFsL9Ew

And the inspiration for my costume this year :-)




That's right, I'm going to be a bottle of Cristal! Now I'm off to the fabric store to find something gold and shiny that can be applied with fabric glue...


Good Luck with your costumes!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes! One I can answer. The quick answer, Stitch Wichery. It comes in a spool, kind of like ribbon. What you do is put it between two peices of fabric, iron over it, and Viola! they are bonded together! This isnt a long term alternative to sewing but for a one night costume that takes a few hours to make it will definately hold! (Trust me, I've done it!)
Here is a link to what it looks like: http://tinyurl.com/yfdzgy. You can pick it up at Walmart along with tons of cool cheap fabrics.