Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Show a Little Shoulder Cleavage!

Reader Request: Tube Tops


I had a request for some tube tops for this blog, so I thought it would be a great time to go through all the tube top terminology since the summer tube top season is quickly approaching!

Tube Top: A strapless top that has tons of spandex in it because it’s got to stay up! Usually made of a jersey type material and looks the best if it already has built in “shelf-bra.” You still have to wear a good strapless bra with a tube top though, even if it has a built in bra already.

Corset: Traditionally made with whale boning, corsets first became popular in the 1850’s. The ultimate “sucky-in-thing” corsets nowadays are still torture devices and should be avoided at all costs, unless they’re really cute! They are much more structured than tube tops and can be either lingerie or tops if made of less revealing material.

Bustier: A bustier isn’t too far off from a corset and usually has some kind of plastic “boning” in it to keep its structure. A bustier is not meant to cinch the waist as much as a corset and is often a fancy dress top which is paired with a long skirt to give the illusion of a one piece dress. I love to wear a bustier with jeans or a white pleated lawn skirt in the summer. They also give a little extract something to the bust area.

Check out my top picks for tube tops, including a few I Want It Now! items :-)


Polka dot tube top Victoria’s Secret, $38
This top would go marvelously with a pair of cropped/ankle length white jeans. I actually just picked up a pair from J.Crew myself, attempting to channel Jackie O.










Tie-waist bustier Victoria’s Secret, $48
Most definitely an I Want It Now! item. I would also pair this with white jeans and my new Navy Jack Rogers sandals.

















South Hampton Eyelet Bustier Shoshanna, $165
The white eyelet bustier that I have unfortunately has seen better days. The only down side to a bustier is it is often dry clean only which gets annoying with white items.















Pink Floral Trelis Bustier Shoshanna, $106.24
This is an adorable bustier and the ribbon belt accentuates the waist. I love the sweet-heart neckline, very flattering.














Essential Black Tube Top Banana Republic, $28.00
This black tube top was a staple of my going out wardrobe in college. It looks simple, but you can jazz it up with a chunky necklace or a wide cinched belt. It’s my I Want It Now! item since my college one is long gone. It also comes in brown and white.

No comments: