Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Trend for 2007: Golden Globes Glitter with White

Apparently all of the psychic messages I’ve been sending out about not wearing black to special occasions are working. Black was not a big color at the Golden Globes this year. Instead, white was the new trendy choice. There were at least 10 celebs sporting either a sleek white Grecian look, or billowy white floating layers.

I was actually surprised at the abundance of white, since white is a hard color to pull off, especially if you have a very fair complexion.

Although white was everywhere, I didn’t absolutely LOVE any of them. I think the Grecian look is a little done for me, and I still prefer a bold red or shot of color than the possibility of being washed out in white.







Jennifer Garner definitely has her pre-baby body back. I don't really like this dress though. It looks like she got Grecian and art deco all jumbled up together. The dress also does nothing for her bust.












Salma Hayek is undoubtedly gorgeous and usually does well with fashion. But I think this dress is a miss. She's very voluptuous, yet petite and I think the drapery of this dress overwhelms her.















Emily Blunt's cream colored dress is a far stretch from the outrageous ensembles she had in The Devil Wears Prada. I like the neckline and straps on this dress, although the descending pleats aren't my favorite.













Everyone and their mother has agreed that Cameron Diaz looked like a hot mess at the GG's. Poor Cameron, dumped by Justin and now this? I actually think this dress could have been salvaged if she had gone without the black bow at the waist. If the dress were in a light blue hue, her hair back to blond, a few less ruffles blah blah blah I'm sure it would have been a hit.











Siena Miller is supposed to be some kind of fashion icon, especially with her love of Mod styles. I like the gold and white contrasts of this dress, although the drapery at the neckline is overdone. Her hair on the other hand is unspeakable! She's Von Trap meets me as a 4 year old meets women who sell 2 liter mugs full of beer. Major yikes!












I honestly want Kate Winslet to do well. She doesn't play into the whole Hollywood skinny thing, and she picks clever roles and is all cute and English doing them. I think her dress is simple and elegant and clearly she's trying to look good, but hasn't over done it.











Ali Lauter (Heroes) is a new face on the red carpet. The story is that she found this dress a few hours before the show. I'm not sure if I actually believe that, but it's a good start to be a fashion non-disaster for your first big award show.











None of the Golden Globe dress blew me away, let's hope I have better luck with the Academy Awards.

No comments: