Monday, January 08, 2007

Trends for 2007: Feminine Menswear


I recently watched The Devil Wears Prada again and saw the cute featurettes included on the DVD as special features. One of the featurettes went through the importance of clothes in the movie (Anne Hathaway had over 65 costume changes) and the genius that is costume designer Patricia Field. I actually thought the clothes in Prada could have been even more over the top (too much black), but there was definitely some of Patricia Field’s famous ‘fashion forecasting’ in the choices of Andy’s wardrobe.

Feminine Menswear was one of those trends, and I think for 2007 it’s going to be very now. Designers are looking to soften their collections and feminine menswear for women is just elegant enough while still being sassy.

Here are a few of my favorites:







Striped Melanie Blouse J.Crew, $75
This top in Bright Blue is adorable. I love the bow in the back, and the cinched waist and pin-tucked pleats in the front make this look tailored. The small puffed sleeves give it a distinctive touch of femininity.







Cropped Jacket Nanette Lepore, $360
By now, I’m sure all of you can tell I’m obsessed with Nanette Lepore. Her stuff is a little pricey, but if you can find it on sale it’s a must buy. This jacket has the look of a man’s vest, but since it’s a cropped jacket it’s not as severe looking.









Spectra Pump Charles David, $215
I’ve wanted a spectator pump forever! This one has the traditional wall street wing tip, but with a sexy stiletto to spice it up.

Tuxedo Shirt Nanette Lepore, $260 no longer available at Neimans :-( Try Lord & Taylor



Red Spectator Dress Shoe Moschino, $595
These shoes are to die for! They’re a spectator peep-toe sling-back with a small detail bow and accented in white. If I had $595 just laying around I know what I would do with it!!

No comments: