Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Reader Request: Holiday Party at Your Boyfriend’s Parents, What to Wear??

I recently received this question:

I am meeting my (serious) boyfriend's parents for the first time this holiday season at their annual holiday party they host at their house. I have been reassured that a dress would be too much- what do I wear????

I know exactly what kind of party you’re talking about. Probably a mix of family and friends, where someone is guaranteed to wear a sweater with a reindeer on it. You need to make the right impression and appeal to his dad, his mom, his sister, and his second cousin once removed!

I thought about what I’ve worn in the past to these parties, and I usually wear pants and a fancy blouse. Pants and a top can be very glamorous too, and who doesn’t want to channel Katherine Hepburn?

I sorted a few of my favorites into three posts following this one (a few dresses might have slipped in, I couldn’t help myself). And always remember: it’s better to be a little more dressed up than to be dressed down.

No comments: