Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Reader Request: Stockings vs. Tights

With the resurgence of 80’s fashions, tights have made a comeback in a big way. I’ve always worn both stocking and tights, but there are some guidelines to follow for when and where to wear them.

First let’s start with my definitions:

Stockings or Nylons: usually sheer or somewhat sheer. Made from “miracle of modern science” wonder fabrics that suck you in, boost your bum, and could probably bake a cake. They come in many varieties, my favorite being fishnet.

Tights: Always opaque, they aren’t meant to do any tightening or lifting. They come in many colors, usually black, navy, and brown are classics. Some have patterns on them for the funkier fashionista.

Now here are a few examples of what to wear with stockings vs. tights

Suit: Definitely stockings. Suits are supposed to be conservative; you can never go wrong with a shear nude color.

Jean skirt: Tights. I see tights as a bit more casual, so they go perfectly with casual jean or corduroy skirts on the weekends.

Wool Hounds tooth skirt: I usually wear my black and white hounds tooth skirt with black opaque tights. They’re a good dark contrast to the statement-making skirt.

Cocktail Dress: Stockings again. Stockings look more dressed up, although I usually don’t even wear stockings with cocktail dresses, just moisturized bare legs.

And a final recommendation:

~ I try not to wear the traditional nylon stocking when I can get away with it. I find they run easily, and sometimes make your legs look shiny in a weird way.

~ I prefer fishnet stockings. Not only do they give every outfit a little bit more sex appeal, in a harmless way, but also they never run!!!! They can get holes in them (rarely), but you can wear ‘em and wash ‘em over and over again. Such a great deal for the money.

~ And best of all they make your legs look skinny. I’m not kidding! No more fankles (fat ankles).

So try some fishnets in black, nude, cream, and red. You will be surprised at how great they make you feel!

No comments: