Sunday, November 19, 2006

There's a reason why Black Orchids aren't found in nature...

I feel like I have to weigh in on Tom Ford’s new perfume Black Orchid. It’s all over the magazines, and was more anticipated than Tom and Katie’s wedding.

I got this month’s Vogue, and in the back of the book was a little sample of Black Orchid. It wasn’t in the usual perfume-in-a-magazine folded flap form, but rather in a sealed plastic pouch (I would later learn why). The perfume itself was absorbed on a thin piece of gauze in the pouch. I tested it out on my wrist, and immediately noticed it’s distinctly oriental musk. You sense the individual ‘notes’ of Black Truffle and Ylang mingled with fresh Bergamot and delectable Black Currant. (not too sure what those ‘notes’ usually smell like, but that’s how it’s described). It then takes on a bit of a floral scent, which I found somewhat bearable, maybe even good smelling. I went to bed with it still on my wrist and thought that it was much too hyped up for what it actually turned out to be.

I’m not exactly sure how much time passed, remember I was sleeping, but all of a sudden every time I took a breath I smelled this revolting aroma. The perfume must have had a horrible reaction with my skin because the scent woke me out of a dead sleep! I had to wash it off in the middle of the night it was so revolting. Not only was Black Orchid over-anticipated, but it’s downright disgusting.

Bottomline: Caveat emptor, buyer beware! Even tester beware!

1 comment:

Reggie said...

lol. Love this review!