Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Red Velvet Cake: this ain’t no Steel Magnolias armadillo cake!

I’m sure everyone who has cried their eyes out during Steel Magnolias remembers the infamous red velvet armadillo cake. Since I saw that movie, I’ve been dying to try some red velvet cake and see what all the hype is about.


My first red velvet experience was perfect. My college roommate surprised me with cupcakes from the delectable Buttercup Bakeshop in NYC, and said I had to try their red velvet cake. It was amazing! The cake was a light vanilla (dyed red) with a hint of cocoa powder, while the frosting was a creamy (dreamy!) confectioner sugar cream cheese.



Unfortunately, I can’t always make it to Buttercup, so this weekend I attempted to make my own red velvet cupcakes…from scratch. I found this recipe, and no offense to Buttercup, I think it might be better. The cake was moist and surprisingly fluffy unlike the usual ‘from scratch’ cakes. I improvised a little on the frosting, but kept in the traditional cream cheese. This would be a great cake for a holiday office party (that’s my plan), you will definitely impress everyone!

Sylvia's Red Velvet Cake (or Cupcakes)

For the cake: 2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour 2 teaspoons cocoa powder 1 teaspoon baking soda 1 teaspoon baking powder 1 teaspoon salt 1 1/2 cups sugar 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened 2 large eggs 1 cup buttermilk 2 ounces red food coloring 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar 1 teaspoon vanilla

For the Frosting: 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter or margarine, softened 1 pound box confectioners' sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup chopped pecans (I omitted the pecans)

For the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) cake pans (or makes 24 cupcakes). In a medium bowl or on a piece of waxed paper, sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, cream together sugar and butter. Beat in eggs one at a time. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk. Beat in food coloring and vinegar, then add vanilla. Spread the batter evenly in the pans. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Turn out onto a rack to cool. For the frosting: In a large bowl, cream the cream cheese and butter. Beat in confectioners' sugar until fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Stir in pecans. Use frosting to fill and ice cake. (I also dusted the final cupcakes with a little cocoa powder) Slice and serve on individual plates.

I have a picture of my cupcakes, but it's too large to post here. You'll just have to use your imagination!

Courtesy of the FoodNetwork
Recipe from Sylvia’s Family Soul Food Cookbook, by Sylvia Woods and Family, published by William Morrow, 1999
Food Network Show: Emeril Live

No comments: